Sunday, November 18, 2007

Puzzling him out.

That's what I'm trying to do. Puzzle out his speech, in more ways than one. First, I'm just trying to puzzle out what he means. We spend a lot of time on this because it's not that he doesn't talk- he talks all the time (and I mean all the time;) but most of it is nonsensical to us. We're pretty decent at figuring out toddler speak, too, so I don't think he's actually trying to speak English most of the time. Doesn't stop him from trying to get his point across, though. I feel bad when I can't figure it out- good thing he's such a relatively easygoing guy. The second part is trying to puzzle out exactly what his delay is. He doesn't seem to me to have cognitive delays. I'm sure it's not his hearing because he and I have a little game now where I hum a short tune and he hums it back- I've done this a lot and tried doing it very quietly and he gets it every time- pretty musical, I guess! Ask him to repeat a word though, and it's usually not even an approximation. For example, the last word I tried out on him was "funny". He offered "sha-pus". Not "unny", not "fun", not even "ny". "Sha pus". Which is not to say he doesn't pick up any words or parts of words, but it's pretty slow going. I know the gap between his thoughts and my understanding is frustrating for him sometimes (for example, naptime), so I hope maybe some speech therapy will help.

2 comments:

Yondalla said...

My gut (which is to say that I am not basing this on any specific knoweldge) is that hearing and language processing issues should not be ruled out.

It seems to me that hearing and reproducing music is very different than processing a word, but I can't explain why it seems to be that they are very different. It just seems to me that they are...

starevelina said...

Yeah, I think there are definitely at least some language processing issues going on. He has an appointment today to be checked out, and I don't know if they're going to check his hearing- I imagine one would have to do something special to test a toddler's hearing. And the music/word things are quite different- I'm not a neuro doctor, so I guess we're going to have to leave it up to them! I hope there's something that will help.
-Star-